It has been about a year since I broke the low A on my electric viola da gamba while tuning, but a week ago I got around to ordering a replacement. Feels nice to have the instrument back in order. And I hope I don’t break more strings any time soon, just the A costs more than a full set of guitar or violin strings. The Super-Sensitive Sensicore perlon strings I use are cheap when compared to the alternatives, but still it took me a year getting around to ordering that replacement.
I hooked everything up and even managed to record a short sample. Not any real melody or anything, just doodling. When I was looking to buy the instrument I looked for sound samples of the Ergo gamba but could not find any. From now on there is at least ONE sample online. The second part is just open strings. There are some effects in the loop, I might redo the whole thing with the raw signal if I find any good way to record it.
Judging from a post on Inner Focus Music Jesse has started making his gambas with tied frets instead of the hammered metal ones that are on my older model. Perhaps that has changed the sound somewhat…
www.tasset.com – Belgian music store that has free shipping on strings, and they carry viola da gamba strings.
– Ergo Instruments